Wesfarmers Chemicals, Energy & Fertilisers (WesCEF) is committed to being a leader in environmental protection by reducing our environmental impact.
Our experienced team of environmental professionals supports the business in operating to a high level of environmental performance and ensures achievement of internal, regulatory and community obligations, including:
- Regulatory compliance and approvals
- Risk assessments and auditing
- Incident response and investigation
- Environmental action plans
- Solid and liquid waste management
- Spills and chemical management
- Groundwater, water use and wastewater management
- Stack testing and dust monitoring
- National Greenhouse and Energy (NGER) reporting
- National Pollutant Inventory (NPI) reporting
- Sustainability reporting
- Flora and fauna relocation and management
In order to drive continual environmental improvement, the team works closely with our business operations to ensure that the procedures and processes which form our Environmental Management System are comprehensive and consistent with requirements of the AS/NZS ISO14001 standard.
We are proud to have implemented a number of innovative environmental initiatives, including a number of award-winning projects, including:
- Wastewater treatment through an Australian-first nitrogen-stripping wetland system at CSBP Kwinana. The wetland sand and gravel contain naturally-occurring bacteria that convert nitrogen in wastewater to nitrogen gas, which is then released into the atmosphere.
- Trials are underway in 2017 to test alternative treatment technologies to refine the quality of stormwater at CSBP regional distribution centres.
- Use of treated wastewater from the Water Corporation’s Kwinana Water Reclamation Plant (KWRP) to reduce scheme and groundwater usage.
- In 2014, CSBP received a Water Efficiency Management Plan (WEMP) Champion Award from the Water Corporation to acknowledge a greater than 35% improvement in water efficiency over in 2012/13.
- Nitrous oxide abatement technology installed in all three CSBP nitric acid plants has reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 94 per cent.
- Development of a utilities efficiency program to identify innovations which further optimise resource use and promote sustainable growth. This extends the the pre-existing Energy Efficiency Opportunities program, for which legislation was repealed in 2014.
WesCEF and its subsidiaries are active members of a number of councils and programs committed to achieving environmental leadership. This includes the Kwinana Industries Council (KIC) and the Plastics and Chemicals Industries Association (PACIA) Responsible Care Program.