What types of personal information do we collect?
We only collect personal information if it is necessary for one of our functions or activities. The types of personal information we collect will depend on the reason for collection. Generally the types of personal information we collect will include name, contact details and records of communications with us. In addition we collect personal information relating to:• WesCEF divisional employees: WesCEF collects personal information (including identification and contact information; employment conditions; banking, superannuation and tax file details, qualifications) from current and past employees of the WesCEF division directly, and also from third parties who have agreed to provide human resources related services to WesCEF. We may collect sensitive information such as information about ethnicity (relating to Wesfarmers’ Reconciliation Action Plan) and health where consent is obtained. WesCEF uses this personal information to provide employment related services including remuneration & payroll, injury support and professional development;
- job applicants: employment and academic histories, the names of their referees and, in some cases, voluntarily provided ethnic background information and some limited health information based on testing undertaken by or for us. We will collect this information directly, from organisations that provide recruitment related services to us, and from third parties who provide job applicants with professional or personal references; and
- our suppliers or prospective suppliers, where we are procuring goods and services or are providing procurement services for our businesses. This information is collected for business-related purposes but contains some limited personal information contact details of the people that we deal with.
We will also collect personal information, including names and contact details, about:
- visitors, contractors and suppliers who come onto any of our sites in case of emergency;
- people involved in or through organisations that we support or sponsor; and
- people who correspond with us, including through our website, in which case we may keep a copy of that correspondence and relevant contact details.
We collect information from the www.wescef.com.au site using cookies, server logs and Google Analytics. More information on Google Analytics is available here. When you visit the site to read, browse or download information, our system will record/log your IP address (the address which identifies your computer on the internet and which is automatically recognised by our web server), date and time of your visit to our site, the pages viewed and any information downloaded. This information will only be used for the purpose of site analysis and to help us offer you improved online service. We may automatically collect non-personal information about you such as the type of internet browsers you use or the site from which you linked to our websites. You cannot be identified from this information and it is only used to assist us in providing an effective service on our Web Sites.
Our site may contain links to other sites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or policies of those sites and recommend that you review their privacy policies.
How we collect and hold personal information
Where it is reasonable and practicable to do so, we collect your personal information directly from you when you correspond or register your details with us, enter into arrangements with us, or provide feedback to us. Depending on the nature of our interaction with you, we may collect personal information from third parties – for instance, information about job applicants is collected in the manner set out above.
We hold personal information electronically and, in some cases, hard copy form, both at our own secure premises and with the assistance of our service providers. We take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that we hold is protected from loss, misuse, unauthorised access by ensuring that this information is held on secure servers in controlled facilities and that information stored within our computer systems can only be accessed by those entrusted with authority and computer network password sanctions.
Why we collect, hold and use personal information
We may use personal information for the primary purpose for which it is collected (eg. provision of our services, including administration of our services), or for purposes related to the primary purpose where it would reasonably be expected that we would use the information in such a way, or in other limited circumstances set out in the Privacy Act.
We collect, hold and use personal information to:
- enable third party service providers to provide us and our related companies with services such as information technology, auditing, legal advice, printing and mailing services, and services relating to our share register and group employee share plan;
- correspond with people who have contacted us, and deal with feedback;
- provide services to, and manage, our related companies;
- correspond with people regarding our corporate sponsorships;
- recruit and assess potential employees; and
- maintain and update our records.
Why we disclose personal information
We do not disclose personal information to third parties unless we are permitted to do so by law or we have obtained consent to do so. We may disclose personal information for the primary purpose for which it is collected or for purposes related to the primary purpose where it would reasonably be expected that we would use the information in such a way. Also, we are permitted to disclose personal information in circumstances set out in the Privacy Act (including but not limited to disclosures to our related companies).
Third parties we may disclose personal information to include:
- Our related companies;
- Our service providers and professional advisors including IT service providers, auditors, legal advisors, mail houses and to share registrar and share plan management services
- Financial institutions;
- The organisations we support or sponsor; and
- Government agencies.
We take steps to ensure that our service providers are obliged to protect the privacy and security of personal information and use it only for the purpose for which it is disclosed.
The third parties to whom we disclose personal information will generally be located in Australia. We may use cloud computing solutions or data storage located overseas in which case information may be stored, under our control, on computer servers located outside of Australia.
Accessing and correcting your personal information, and complaints and questions
You can request access to your personal information held by us, or request that it be corrected, by contacting us at the address below. To ensure confidentiality, details of your personal information will be passed on to you only if we are satisfied that the information relates to you. A fee will not be charged for an access request, but you may be charged the reasonable expenses we incur (such as search and copying costs). If we refuse to provide you with access or correct the personal information held about you by us (in accordance with the Privacy Act), then we will provide reasons for such refusal.
If you wish to make a formal complaint, please make your complaint in writing to our Privacy Officer. We will consider your complaint promptly and contact you to seek to resolve the matter. If we have not responded to you within a reasonable time or if your concerns are not resolved to your satisfaction, you are entitled under the Privacy Act to make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
WesCEF Privacy Officer
Wesfarmers Chemicals, Energy & Fertilisers Limited
Building 161, Car Park 12, Murdoch University, Murdoch WA 6150
PO Box 4184, Myaree Business Centre, Western Australia 6960
Telephone: +61 8 9312 9222
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
Phone: 1300 363 992.
Last updated: March 2014
Wesfarmers Chemicals, Energy & Fertilisers Limited ABN 48 008 797 402